As an expat, lost passport is one of the worst things that can happen to us. It may seem that all is lost in the beginning but with this guide on what to do if you lost your passport in UAE, there is actually hope.
Tip: Having copies of your documents speed up the process of applying for a new passport. Make sure you have copies of all your important documents.
Steps to follow in case of lost passport in the UAE:
- For expats, go to your company HR or PRO to request a letter addressed to Dubai Police explaining you have lost your passport. For tourists, go to your tour organizer or sponsor and request for the letter.
- Go to the nearest Police Station with the letter and a copy of your passport and visa.
- They will issue a lost-passport letter addressed to Immigration, Dubai Court and Public Prosecution. The letter should be stamped and signed from these three departments.
- Go back to the same police station with the signed lost-passport letter, two photographs of yourself and AED 20, which goes towards the police certificate confirming the lost passport. The police counter will issue the certificate.
- Visit the Immigration office to get a stamped document that provides status of your residence. You need to pay AED 120 for this.
- Contact your Consulate or Embassy with the police report, old passport copy and passport photographs to apply for a new permanent passport.
- Once you receive your new passport, you can apply for a new visa.
Lost your passport outside the UAE?
If your passport contains a valid UAE residence visa, following these simple steps will get you on the right track to getting a new passport and new residence visa.
- Obtain a police report from the local police station of the country in which you’re in. It should be in English and Arabic and attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of that particular country.
- Visit your home country’s embassy and take your attested police report, two photographs of yourself, a copy of your passport and visa, to apply for a new passport. If you’ve lost your passport in your home country, visit the Immigration department with the required documents.
- Upon receiving your passport, approach the UAE Embassy with a certified police report in Arabic, your new original passport, a colored copy of your old passport and visa, your photograph and a letter of service from your company.
- Once you receive your permit to enter the UAE, report to your HR or PRO and advise the airline/travel agency of your new documents.
Note on using eGate:
Expats are not be allowed to enter UAE on any other passport, except their permanent one. In case of lost passport, it’s against the law to enter the UAE through any other means such as e-gate without following the correct process from the UAE Embassy. Expats should have the new permanent passport and permit letter from the UAE Embassy
The above instruction is the current known process and subject to change. Please use the comment section to let us know if you are aware of any changes to the above procedures.