Well HELLO there!
It’s been awhile since I posted something on here. It’s been quite hectic these past few weeks. If you haven’t heard, I gave birth already. Here’s the scoop — it’s a long one!
My Biggest Problem
My actual due date is a bit of a mystery. All of my scans that came from Dubai shows that EDD is 4 October. But based on my LMP, I will be on full term around 2nd – 3rd week September. I wanted a vaginal birth this time. It’s been about 6 years since my C-section delivery with Blake so it should be ok, or so I thought. My OB told me point-blank that it would be another CSD. I guess age and current health situation were taken into consideration.
My OB noted that we will have the procedure done by September 22 or if I want, we could do it on the same day as Blake’s birthday. I was conflicted for some time because on the one hand, it would be fun to have 2 birthdays on the same day (and economical! ha ha!) but on the other hand, I didn’t want Blake to feel that she has to share everything now (as in EVERYTHING including her birthday). This was my biggest problem — or so I thought.
August 11, 2017 – I was scheduled for an ultrasound scan to determine the situation of the baby inside. My OB was willing to compromise, we could deliver early or follow my previous scans. We just needed to see RaceCar’s progress. A few days prior to this, I have had massive headaches and my blood pressure was high. I didn’t think anything of it.
I arrived at the OPD around 530 pm.
The scans showed that the baby is at 34W5D, cephalic presentation with adequate amniotic fluid. EDD by ultrasound : 17 September 2017. However, the baby is tachycardic — heart rate is unusually quick. I was told to go to the ER and have Non Stress Test done (NST).
This was supposed to be a regular check up so I went alone. The ER is at the opposite building. I had to
walk waddle all the way to the ER, alone. I didn’t fully understand what was happening, I just know that I’m so strong to be doing this all alone — or so I thought.
I walked up to the nurse in charge at the ER and gave them the result of the ultrasound. They called my OB and they told me to wait so I can be assisted to the Labor Room for the NST.
The test lasted 20 minutes. I was assisted back to the ER. I waited patiently as they relay the results of the test to my OB who was in a conference at that time. She then requested for a blood test to see if there’s any infection that could be causing the fetal tachycardia. There was none.
A repeat NST was requested. As the nurses in the Labor Room checked in on me, they kept asking if I can feel pain. Apparently, I was showing signs of early labor. At this point, I started texting my brother’s girlfriend, giving them updates and instructions. I was still calm and composed despite the fact that I have not packed my hospital bag. It’s still too early — or so I thought.
The nurses informed me that my OB wanted to talk to me over the phone. I listened as she tells me that we will have to deliver the baby now. We still don’t know the cause of the fetal tachycardia but it seems that the baby is in distress and wants to come out already.
“OK”, I said. Everything will be ok — or so I thought.
I waited for the OB to arrive. I was asked to sign waivers and other hospital admission procedures. My brother arrived with a bag haphazardly packed with essentials that I asked for. He took over the administrative tasks of making sure we have a room after delivery etc.
Meanwhile, the anesthesiologist arrived and hooked me up on an IV. They were a bit flustered because I was bleeding profusely from that one tiny prick. Then I remembered — I was on aspirin. Blood thinners. This procedure is going to be bloody.
When all my doctors arrived, they talked among themselves on how to go forward while I was being prepped. I knew something was wrong when I felt weird after being given anesthesia. My legs felt different — numb and something else. I can’t describe it and I didn’t have the energy because I was fighting the urge to throw up. I didn’t feel this way when I gave birth to Blake.
At 1250 am, August 12, 2017 – Adam Corvin was out.
I let out a sigh of relief when I heard a faint cry from him. They showed me my baby and took him away again. Since he was only 34-35 weeks, he had to be put in an incubator. There were complications — all the problems earlier that I thought were big were nothing compared to this.
Adam was intubated, given surfactants, on ventilator and various medications. He stayed in the NICU for 23 days. I avoided posting anything or making announcements. I just wanted my baby home. 23 days seemed like a lifetime. I cried myself to sleep almost every night but I had to be strong for Blake.
Slowly Adam recovered and was sent home, finally. He’s going to be 2 months in a week from now. Strong and healthy. A very happy baby. My Adam Corvin — my fighter boy.