I’ve always loved coconut macaroons. I remember my aunt making these when I was a child. Just one bite and I was hooked. Growing up, I would always buy macaroons from bakeries and my personal fave is from Goldilocks in the Philippines.
Things changed when I had a chat with Mommy Abi of Cuddles and Crumbs. She makes delicious coconut macaroons! I thought to myself, why haven’t I done macaroons before?? Oh yeah, I wasn’t sure what to use! She told me that she uses store bought dried (desiccated) coconut. The ones found in any hypermarket. For some reason, I stayed away from those bags. I really thought that those are for …uhm … “cooking” (not baking!) Anyway, I made some coconut macaroons during Christmas using Abi’s recipe. It was an instant hit in our household!
I gave them away to friends and relatives during the holidays. And because its my favorite, I made lots of it so there’s more for me! Here’s the recipe:
- 2 C desiccated coconut / sweetened coconut
- 1 can (250 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 C melted butter
- 1 C sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
- Beat the eggs and mix in the milk and butter.
- Add remaining ingredients
- Put in mini muffin cups and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Let cool and serve
- You might not be able to wait till it cools!