I was thinking of food to serve during Blake’s birthday so I relied on good ol’ Google to do the job. I just searched “healthy food / kiddie party” — or something. (Can’t remember really…but I’m sure I searched for something healthy. hah!)
One entry really got me excited:
|Apple Smiles – Disney Family.com|
I knew instantly that this would be a big hit with the kids! (and it was!) It’s so easy to make too. You just need:
- Apple slices (preferably crisp red apples)
- Mini Marshmallows
- Peanut Butter
- Lemon Juice
- Soak Apple slices in Lemon Juice (so the apples won’t have any discoloration)
- Spread Peanut Butter on both one side of the Apple slice.
- Arrange marshmallows and top with another apple slice with peanut butter.
So easy, right? But I have a problem. I know that one of our guests is allergic to nuts. So peanut butter is not a good idea to serve. I researched some more and found out that Honey is an alternative.
Tips for a successful project:
- Spread very thin peanut butter/honey on apple.
- Slice the apples evenly
- Make sure that the apple slices are dry. Wipe excess lemon juice.
This is where we had a problem…we didn’t really wipe the apples. We just dipped in lemon juice and arranged the mallows. Big mistake! The apples were very wet and the mallows didn’t want to stick. We tried to troubleshoot by slicing the apples very thin instead (when all we had to do was to dry them up a bit… doh!)
This is our version of Apple Smiles:
I still think that this is better. I’ve seen so much worse! LOL